For some reason I love watching documentary videos on YouTube. Below you will find a few tips on watch-related ones that I found to be worthy of a recommendation. I will try and keep this list updated from time to time.
- History of Art in Three Colours: Gold
BBC documentary on the influence of gold in art & life.
- Guilty Pleasures – Luxury in the Middle Ages
BBC documentary on the evolution of the concept of ‘luxury’.
- Mechanical Marvels – Clockwork Dreams
BBC documentary on automatons.
- Lost at Sea – the Search for Longitude
PBS Nova documentary on the search for accuracy in ships clocks, including the work of Harisson.
- Begin Japanology – Watches & Clocks
Documentary on the history of Japanese clock and watchmaking from its earliest days to the introduction of quartz and finally the resurrection of mechanical watches.
- The 2000 Year-Old Computer – Decoding the Antikythera Mechanism
BBC documentary on the Antikythera mechanism.
- Precision – the Measure of Things – Time and Distance
BBC documentary on the history of measuring both time and distances.
Fortis Stratoliner, ‘West in Space’ limited edition of 200 pieces, artwork by Andora, created in 1992.